Tuesday, March 4, 2008

A Duel?

Part of me just wants to start every blog in traditional blogger/Epicurious article style: "Have you ever listened to a song that has brought back a string of memories?  Well, for me, that is Explosions in the Sky."  But I refrain.  HA!

I thought it would be easier with my parents when I left home, but it has just made it harder.  My dad just doesn't understand that sometimes I need things explained to me.  I don't understand taxes.  I don't understand most of the officialities of the world, as a matter of fact.  I don't understand the child support situation we are in.  Any time I ask a question about it, my dad immediately starts to talk to me like I am a child in that up-tilting, eye-bulging tone of voice.  Immediately!  He rarely gives things a chance.  He rarely trusts anyone else's opinion.

And I'm going to have to deal with this conflict between my mom and my dad for the rest of my life.  Let me ask you this: who is going to walk me down the aisle at my wedding?  It may seem like a simple question with a simple answer at first.  But--my stepdad has been the dad.  My dad has biologically been the dad, but my stepdad took over his role when I was 4.  Would I want my blood father to be there for the big moment?  Would I want my fathering father to be there for the big moment?  Which is more important?

How do I do this?

No comments: