Saturday, February 23, 2008

In The Room (Garage)

Turns out the Pentagon is interested in this spanking new material that absorbs 99.955% of light that hits it.  It's called "Blacker Than Black" (kind of like how Keith likes his coffee).  According to a commentator on NPR's "Good News, No News, Or Bad News?" it is Bad News if they start using it in warfare and the President says to Iraq, "We're gonna get some blacker than black on you!"  Yeah.  I agree.

I am sitting here listening to NPR--something I used to do every Saturday last summer.  It's a trip--to sit here and listen...just like sitting at Montclair's front desk from 8 to 3 and having my coffee and bagel from Bruegger's while soaking in world news and This American Life.  

Speaking of This American Life, the host, Ira Glass, is totally coming to Mizzou the day after my birthday.  And shucks, I'll be in KC.  Experiencing other home-related things such as my mother.  

Now I am listening to a broadcast of Carmen.  There is just something about classical music that calms me and makes me thank God for my classical training.  I feel like I understand so much more about music because of the classical appreciation I have built up.  I learned the most interesting things in the Medieval Music lecture yesterday.  I never realized how much influence the Catholic Church had on EVERYTHING.  Such as the power of three.  Such as the "devil's interval," the tritone.  I also learned that a "musician" was considered someone who THOUGHT about music...and people who played it were just crazies.  

My morning is great so far.

Just around the riverbend,
Kaitlin